Thursday, January 19, 2012

The BBT

I never really payed attention to The Big Bang Theory when it debuted. I knew it was a sitcom about scientists, but that's it. When it got syndicated on TBS, I finally sat down and watched it and I actually thought it was really funny. As a scientist and comic book lover myself, it wasn't that hard to fall in love with the show.

A lot of sitcoms have superhero references but it's always popular characters such as Batman and Superman, nothing too obscure. In the handful of episodes of The Big Bang Theory I initially watched, Sheldon (Jim Parsons) was wearing a few comic book-related t-shirts (Batman, Green Lantern, The Flash). However, in one episode I was watching, this is what Sheldon was wearing:


A Star Sapphire Corps t-shirt! The average non-comic reading person wouldn't recognize that like they would Batman or Spiderman. I was impressed, and officially hooked. Actually, last night I was watching an episode, "The Hofstadter Isotope", where Sheldon references Infinite Crisis, 52, and the multiverse all in one sentence. That's my kind of dialogue.

I think it's an overall great show, lots of comic book references, lots of geeky humor, and lots of non-geeky humor. The guys are all nerdy in their own way. Sheldon is kind of a weird fun sociopath, while Leonard (Johnny Galecki) is a shy, lovable dork. Howard (Simon Helberg) is a rambunctious ladies man (and hilarious), and Raj (Kunal Nayyar) is a goofy guy who can't talk to women unless he's intoxicated. Kaley Cuoco plays Penny, who is kind of the opposite character to the nerdy guys, but she does it in a way where she isn't just the cute blonde next door. In some instances she even joins them in their geekiness.

So I say, thumbs up to The Big Bang Theory. You keep it up, and I'll keep watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment