Thursday, February 9, 2012

Spray It, Don't Say It

There are few things on earth that I enjoy more than a good old-fashioned comic book. I spend more time than you would think reading silver age comics. I'm actually in the process of collecting as much golden and silver age Green Lantern as I can. However, there is one aspect of older-style comic books that I am happy we've steered away from. THE WORDS. My gosh, the words.


(From Showcase Presents: Green Lantern, Vol. 1)

Look, I appreciate the hokeyness of it all. But we don't need every single thing explained to us. And I mean, everything:

(From Showcase Presents: Green Arrow, Vol. 1)

I understand that comic books were geared towards children, so they needed to be straightforward. But "holy extensive dialogue, Batman!" It's a comic book. You're showing us the story with pictures, why cover them up with words?


Hey Bruce, we can see your flesh wounds, and who are you talkin' to?

Although I'm poking fun at our comic book forefathers, this cheesy, elaborate dialogue is one of the aspects of older comics that I truly love. I wouldn't want them any other way.

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree. I wouldn't want any of that cheesey chatter in my modern day comics but I love going back to the silver age were everyone's a toff and they have a jolly good yarn tell.

    ReplyDelete