Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Tribute to Professional Wrestlers in Comic Book Movies

Kevin Nash, a.k.a. "Big Daddy Cool" Diesel- Here is a wrestler who has had such an impact on my life. Kevin Nash not only is the self-proclaimed greatest world champion of all time, but he is one of the founding members of the greatest wrestling stable that has ever existed, the nWo.

As I previously discussed in my top 5 favorite comic book movies, I was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fanatic as a child. I know, some of you are wondering "how does Kevin Nash fit into that?" Here's how. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze (1991). Remember when shredder becomes Super Shredder at the end of the movie and goes on a rampage? Yup. That's Big Kev.

He also made an appearance in The Punisher (2004) as The Russian. Kevin Nash enters and an all out brawl ensues between him and Thomas Jane. He loses, and his face gets burnt off. Sorry, Nash fans. Regardless, Kevin Nash has made his mark on both professional wrestling and comic book movies. I will always fly the flag for Big Kev and the nWo, 4 life.


"Macho Man" Randy Savage- Ooh Yeah! As the "Macho Man", Randy Savage was one of the most intense, unique, influential professional wrestlers that ever lived. As the wrestler Bonesaw McGraw in Spider-man (2002), he gave Peter Parker a run for his money, literally. Not only was Randy Savage fitting to be in a steel cage with Peter Parker, but he looked jacked. When Bonesaw got his ass kicked, I was convinced that Peter Parker had superhuman strength.

I find it funny that they chose "Macho Man" to play a character based on "Crusher Hogan" from Spider-man comics. At that point in his career, Randy hated Hulk Hogan, and rightfully so. Maybe that's why he accepted the role. In any case, we all miss you, Randy. You will live on in our hearts, our action figures, and our Spider-man DVDs.


"The Game", Triple H- What a way for a professional wrestler to break into acting. In Blade: Trinity (2004), Triple H plays vampire Jarko Grimwood. I love Triple H, I really do. His professional wrestling career has spanned decades and he has held the heavyweight championship more times than most. However, his character in Blade: Trinity had no depth whatsoever and was pretty much just muscle. But hey, I'm fine with that. He's huge. It's a fitting role. I just think we can all agree that the movie would have been better off if it were focused on Triple H pumping some iron.


"Hot Rod", "Rowdy" Roddy Piper- Roddy Piper was arguably the most controversial professional wrestler of his time. He's one of the biggest wrestling badasses. The guy body-slammed Mr. T in a boxing match at WrestleMania 2, wore a kilt, had his own talk show (Piper's Pit), and was in They Live. He's the real deal. I recently picked up a copy of Green Lantern: Emerald Knights (2011). As I was watching, I noticed the character Bolphunga's voice sounded very familiar. It was, in fact, the voice of "Rowdy" Roddy Piper. Another great combination of two of my favorite things on earth, comics and professional wrestling.

3 comments:

  1. should add Jeep Swenson perhaps not as well known as the ones presented but he was in batman and robin and had some good feuds in the 80s. sadly he became a statistic and died much too young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I was thinking of doing another post in the future about the lesser known wrestlers. I think there are a few in comic book movies but I actually didn't even realize that Bane was a wrestler. Thanks for letting me know! I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rowdy Roddy Piper! dont fuck w guys that wear kilts. or add it to your training routine... good airflow, makes girls whistle at you and the cold just doesnt seem as cold anymore with a kilt. Scotland forever.

    ReplyDelete