Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Warrior #1

One thing that is quite apparent on this blog is that I am a huge professional wrestling fan. I have been watching pretty much since I was born. When I was a kid, as with many children at the time, I looked up to The Ultimate Warrior. He is by far the most intense professional wrestler that has ever stepped into the squared circle.

Over the past year, Warrior Man (as he's known to his fans) has developed quite an online presence. Through his website, YouTube videos, Twitter feed, and Facebook page, he's been real active spreading the intensity he once displayed in the late 80s/early 90s, and inspiring all of the Warrior fans out there who still believe. From a personal standpoint, it's working, and I believe.

Feeling the power of the Warrior and having this forum to talk about comic books, I had to get my hands on a copy of Warrior #1. Published by Ultimate Creations in 1996, it was written by Warrior and illustrated by Jim Callahan and J.D. Smith. This comic book is fucking crazy.

As soon as you turn the cover, you immediately get pumped up. The first thing you see is this:


There is a pretty straightforward theme to this comic book: belief in one's self. Every text box is complicated and deep. At first you scratch your head and wonder “huh?” Then you process it, wrap your head around the meaning, and read the next sentence because you’re so fired up and excited to be alive. For example: "The strength of one's beliefs cannot be subject to the cruelties brought on by the change in seasons..." Well, I'm ready to pump some iron and make my dreams a reality.

As you read, you witness the Warrior struggle through his journey to where he belongs, home. On his way, he battles the elements, demons, and himself. He literally fights demons. They come at him left and right and he uses his brute strength to destroy them. As I was reading, all I wanted to do was jump through the page and pummel some demons alongside the Warrior. You watch as the Warrior overcomes all odds and convinces himself that there is nothing that will stop him.

Not until the end of the comic book do you realize where exactly the Warrior is:


I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that I have never read a comic book like Warrior #1 in my life. If there was one thing that this comic book captured, it's the pure intensity of the Warrior. And if there is one thing that the Warrior has imparted on numbers of people, it's inspiration. Thanks to this comic book, I have officially added a new word into my vocabulary, “Foked”. This site will be fueled by the power of the Warrior, adopting the theme "TIME TO GET FOKED":

4 comments:

  1. This is a great post. Now I want a copy of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, derry. Yea I was really excited to write about it. I encourage you and anyone to get your hands on a copy ASAP. You can definitely find it on ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time to get foked i want one too now

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! I love the energy. Everyone's getting foked and excited about Warrior Man.

    ReplyDelete