Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Meeting Jim Lee & Geoff Johns


Living in New York City has given me access to some great activities. Broadway shows, live music, great food, and some of the best comic book shops I've ever seen. I never loved living in Manhattan more than I did last Friday night.

Early last week, Midtown Comics announced on Twitter that Geoff Johns and Jim Lee were going to be in town for a comic book signing on Friday, May 11th. This immediately filled me with excitement and disappointment. I was excited because I am such a huge fan of both of them. Geoff Johns is one of my favorite comic book writers and the reason why I am such a die-hard Green Lantern fan. I have more Geoff Johns books on my shelf and in my comic boxes than anything else. His utilization of the emotional spectrum in Green Lantern comics made me a fan of all things Green Lantern. Jim Lee has illustrated some of the best looking comics ever published. In my opinion, no one draws Batman like Jim Lee.

I was disappointed because in August of 2011, when Justice League #1 was released, Geoff Johns and Jim Lee came to Midtown Comics for a signing. So many people showed up that I got shut out. Fear. I felt it engulfing me. I had to fight it. This was too important. I was determined to harness the power of Hope and Will! And that's what I did.

I got out of work, rushed to the subway, and was on my way downtown to Midtown comics. I was trying not to get my hopes up, but I just couldn't help feeling totally pumped up. Avarice. I wanted those autographs so badly. Again, I had to fight it and stay focused.

I got to the Times Square stop, ran out of the subway station, and bolted for Midtown Comics. "Hm, no line? Last time, a line formed spanning multiple city blocks. Something's wrong." Something was wrong. I was at the wrong Midtown Comics! They were signing at the branch further downtown! Anger! I couldn't let it affect me. Back to the subway! At this point I was in a total panic, drenched in sweat.

I got downtown, ran into the store, and purchased a hardcover copy of DC Comics Justice League Vol. 1: Origin. The employee at the counter helped me calm down by reassuring me that I made it in time to be able to meet Jim Lee and Geoff Johns. How Compassionate. I got in line and waited with the biggest smile on my face that I still can't wipe off.

Standing in line.
The wait was pretty great. The fine people of Midtown Comics were giving updates and passing out some cool DC-themed buttons. My lovely fiancé stopped by and gave me a kickass Green Lantern PEZ dispenser. Love. How appropriate!

I cannot describe how nice and appreciative Geoff Johns and Jim Lee were. I gave them my copy of Justice League Vol. 1 to sign. I told Jim Lee that Hush contains the greatest art that I've ever see in a comic book.


I had Geoff Johns sign my copy of Green Lantern: Agent Orange. I reviewed this trade earlier this year and it really is one of my favorite Green Lantern stories. He not only signed it, but he personalized it (How cool is that?):



Oh, I know something just as cool. He recognized me from a tweet I mentioned him in earlier in the week. I know, right!?

Thank you to everyone at Midtown comics, Geoff Johns, and Jim Lee. Getting to meet Jim Lee and Geoff Johns is one of the coolest experiences of my life. It was surreal, amazing, and I am totally bragging.

1 comment:

  1. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    SICK.

    ReplyDelete