Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Infinity Gauntlet... Finally


The Infinity Gauntlet is one of the greatest, most important comic book crossovers of all time. When I was a young man, I knew of the story through discussions with friends and family, Marvel trading cards, and the Playstation video game, Marvel Superheroes. However, I never took the time to really sit down, read, and appreciate The Infinity Gauntlet. Thankfully, my brother derryX bought me a copy for my birthday. I read it and I loved it!

What, you want me to be more specific? "I loved it!" isn't a good enough summation of one of the biggest comic book storylines of all time? I can spend days talking about The Infinity Gauntlet. Since you don't have that kind of time, here are some of my favorite highlights:
  • The story itself is extremely captivating. This madman, Thanos, not only seeks out ultimate power by acquiring the Infinity Gems, but he gets it. He is so god-like that our beloved superheroes aren't even an option to overcome this beast. In the end, the only thing that can end this reign of tyranny is Thanos' own personal imperfection.
  • I love that the Infinity Gems were on Thanos' glove. I truly believe that a glove is the perfect item to convey absolute control and authority. Can you imagine if it was The Infinity Slipper instead?
  • My favorite panel in the whole comic series was the shot of Thanos, Nebulla, Eros, Thor, Drax, and The Hulk running for the abandoned Infinity Gauntlet.
  • My second favorite shot was Thanos smacking the shit out of The Hulk and Drax.

Although I do not have many, here are some lowlights from The Infinity Gauntlet:
  • As I stated above, the art in some spots is fantastic. However, in other spots, it could use a little work.
It's Larry the Scary Rex!
  • Show some balls, Marvel! In the end, all of the damage that Thanos caused was basically reversed, and he lost all of his power. Really? The story concludes with the almighty Thanos, who attained the status of a god, shucking corn?

I encourage you to comment with your thoughts on The Infinity Gauntlet. Although I had my complaints, this really is one of my favorite comic book stories of all time.

3 comments:

  1. Infinity Gauntlet is by far one of Marvel's best storylines, and hopefully they can adapt it properly for film (we all know this is the direction the movies are taking). The ending was a little of a let down, but hey, when you have a story where the Hulk gets b**** slapped, we can let the little things slide. Great review, can't wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris!

    And I agree, I actually think this story is great to have as a film because it's easy for the non-comic reading audience to understand. Yes, there is a lot of Marvel history in it, but the underlying threat of a guy seeking ultimate power is a pretty universal idea. Plus, what weapon's better than The Infinity Gauntlet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry this is so late. I loved the fact that the end of the the story shows Thanos farming. It adds dimension to his complex character. It shows the plotting side of him. You don't always have to sitting around a table to formulate your next plan. Sometimes the best ideas come when your being distracted. It also shows a balance to his life. Where as, he was the destroy before, now he is a builder. A taker of lives to a sustainer of lives.

    ReplyDelete