Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Quest for Fleas

I fancy myself a collector of comics, action figures, video games, and the occasional vinyl record. Let's face it, if it's paraphernalia, I want it. Living in Manhattan, I have been taking advantage of what I have available to me. Countless times, I've gotten surprised by and giddy at the sight of a street vendor looking to unload any of these items for a fair price. This a great way to add toys to my collection, but I needed something a little more reliable. A place where I could browse a variety of vendors and sift through all sorts of stuff. Damn it, I needed a flea market.

I did some research on flea markets in Manhattan and up popped Hell's Kitchen Flea Market at 426 West 39th Street, New York, NY. Sounds pretty bad-ass, right?

It wasn't. Not for a geek like me, at least. There were summer dresses as far as the eye could see. I'm sure there are many people out there in search of a variety of yellow dresses with sunflowers on them, but I was looking for the good stuff. I was looking for miscellaneous junk from someone's basement.

Feeling defeated, I regrouped, searched some more, and came up with Greenflea at 100 West 77th Street, New York, NY. "Biggest Flea Market in New York City". Yes, it is the biggest flea market in New York City, if flea is another name for beaded jewelry. Again, I'm sure that there are thousands of people that are looking to doll themselves up for an affordable price, but I'm a nerd! Isn't there anything out there for me?

There is. I was just looking in the wrong place. I switched my attention to Brooklyn and came across Brooklyn Flea at 176 Lafayette Avenue, Brooklyn, NY. Before I made the trek to Brooklyn, I decided to check their website. I saw something called "dAN's Parents' House" with a picture of a variety of toys. I love toys! I had to check it out.

I was not disappointed. I found exactly what I was looking for: a table with miscellaneous stuff from someone's basement. There were tons of old toys and action figures from every era, Star Wars memorabilia, trading cards, and much more. Check out what I picked up:

Mr. T
Big Boss Man
Black Hand
Donatello
Green Lantern Button
The gentleman who runs dAN's Parents' House is Dan Treiber. He was an extremely nice guy and very approachable about pricing and questions I had about the items. I highly recommend you visit Dan at Brooklyn flea and check out his website.

Success!

3 comments:

  1. Shame Mr. T doesn't have his accessories. He had some cool stuff with him.

    Great finds, though! I need to start hitting up garage sales and see what I can find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm pretty happy with the results.

    You know, I kind of go into it knowing that I won't get all of the accessories with a given figure. As a matter of fact, I believe that Donatello figure is a piece on a Ninja Turtles Hockey board game. I just like collecting characters, I don't need each item to be complete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah he looked like he belonged on a Foosball table or something. There's some things in my collection that I adore without the accessories, but there's part of me that wants it as mint and complete as possible.

    I'm not against buying used toys by any means, but there's something nice knowing that you're the first one to open the box, and that there's nothing shifty going on with the quality or whatever. Then again, I do most of my shopping on Ebay, holding it in your hands is a much different experience.

    ReplyDelete