Monday, September 24, 2012

The Nintendo 64 Expansion Pak. Ugh.

You can call me many things. I'm a Green Lantern fanboy, a Jean-Claude Van Damme fanatic, a professional wrestling fan, and most importantly for this post, a retrogamer. Sure I try to keep up with the most current games, but there has been so much good stuff made, I just can't let go.

I am currently in the process of getting my Nintendo 64 set up again. This brings back a lot of great memories. However, all it takes is one bad memory and everything goes to shit. I can't look at a Nintendo 64 without being reminded of that... thing. The god damn expansion pak.

It was Christmas Eve. The year was 2000. I was 16 years young. I asked for The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask for Christmas. Arguably, the dumbest Zelda game of all time (argued by me, that is). But I digress.

My family has the tradition of opening up presents on Christmas Eve after dinner. I'm sure it has to do with the fact that me and my brother are impatient and probably tortured our parents when we were children. We finished dinner, went over to the Christmas Tree, and opened our presents. All I cared about was Zelda. I love Zelda. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, the predecessor of Majora's Mask, was all I played for months. So I was ready to spend all Christmas Eve night and Christmas day playing some Zelda.


N64 expansion pak
I didn't. I couldn't. I didn't realize that Majora's Mask required the expansion pak, which was a RAM upgrade for the Nintendo 64. So there I was, Christmas Eve night, with a Zelda game that I couldn't play for the next 2 days! Stores weren't open on Christmas Day. What was I supposed to do? Be miserable. That's what. And that's what I did, for 12 years. I'm 28 now, and I'm still sick over it.

Nintendo, you've brought me so many years of fun and great memories and you continue to do so. But I will always hate your guts. 

Expansion pak. What a crock of shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment