Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Saga: The Dilemma

I've heard many great things about the Image comic book series Saga. By the time it entered my radar, the Volume One trade paperback, collecting issues #1-6, had just been released. I picked it up and enjoyed it, a lot. I didn't just like it, I loved it.

Here's the dilemma: do I wait for the Volume Two trade paperback or do I start subscribing to individual issues?

If I stick to collecting the trade paperbacks, I can have a nice Saga collection on my bookshelf. However, the trade paperbacks are published so long after the individual issues! Can I wait that long?

Ok so individual issues it is, right? Wrong. I have a problem. When I subscribe to a comic book series, I want (need) to go back and buy every issue prior to the issue that I start on. If I start on issue #7, I'm going to need to buy all of the back issues. This is a problem because it gets out of hand!

There was a Blue Beetle/Green Lantern: New Guardians crossover earlier this year. At the time, I wasn't subscribed to Blue Beetle. The crossover started on issue #9, so of course, I went out and bought issues #1-8 (which were more expensive than cover price, by the way). I know what you're thinking: "Hey Dominick, couldn't you just read some reviews?" No, I couldn't. Because I have a problem. I need to see every damn panel of a comic book series. Now I bet you're thinking "Hey! Yesterday, you wrote a whole blog post, full of aqua-puns, talking about a comic book series that you started at issue #14 and never read before that." Yeah, you're right. I hopped onto Aquaman at issue #14 and didn't know what the hell was going on.

Back to the issue at hand, what do I do about Saga: trade paperbacks or individual issues? Help!

4 comments:

  1. Stick with the trades. It will be less expensive that way. You just have to have patience while waiting on them to come out. I read The Walking Dead in trades and sometimes it's very sad having to wait for trades when I hear something awesome happened in an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel. Yeah that's what I'm thinking. It's hard to wait but at least I'll have a nice collection of trades. Actually with individual issues I usually have to skim through them again to catch up before I read the newest issue. With Saga Volume One I sat down and read all 6 issues in one sitting. That is a nice benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to go with trades just because my store sold out of #1 and even though I had it on Comixology I want complete runs. Luckily Fiona Staples came to my local so it's a signed trade which makes me happier about not having single issues :')

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I'm jealous! I have some stuff from Comixology but it makes me itchy not to have a printed copy of something. But that's a whole separate issue...

    ReplyDelete