Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Attention Twitter Snobs

Twitter is fantastic. I use it more than any other social media site (you can follow me @TheFatLantern). It's been a great place to spread the word about The Fat Lantern and also meet some great people. Not only have I made a lot of friends who share similar interests, but we also converse about these interests. I love that.

Unfortunately, there are people out there who use Twitter a little differently. Over the past year, I've followed many people who I believe to be a bit delusional. These are the people who love gaining followers...but don't seem to like following people so much. Now, I realize that when you follow a celebrity, you shouldn't expect to get followed back. I think the term "celebrity" gets lost in translation on Twitter. I'm not talking about the movie star or musician with 500,000 followers. I'm talking about the people with 800 or 1,000 followers.

Hey, I would love to have 1,000 followers or more. I can't wait until I get there. You know what the difference will be though? I'm actually going to reciprocate and follow people back. I don't follow everyone who follows me. But if they seem nice and interact with me, I will follow absolutely anyone. I can not tell you how many people I've followed and interacted with (or attempted to) who have just completely given me the cold shoulder. And I'm not talking about tweeting to someone and not getting a response. I've followed people for 6 months to 1 year, attempted to converse multiple times, and gotten nowhere. Not anymore. From now on, you're lucky if I waste more than a week following you if you're going to behave like that.

There is no rule that says you have to follow people who follow you on Twitter. But it all boils down to manners. Some people have manners and it's fantastic. Some people, however, have a false sense of self importance. I see what they're doing. They think that if their ratio of followers to following is 10:1, they're going to be taken more seriously than the other slobs on Twitter who have a ratio of 1:1. To these people, I say screw your ratios and damn your self importance

Wait a minute, you actually have a blog? Holy crap. I can't believe that you found a way to get one of those. Please excuse me while I kiss your ass. Do you know who else has a blog? ME. Oh gosh, you live in New York City? Wow, that's so original. I am impressed. I am so god damn impressed by you and your New York City bullshit. Do you know who else lives in New York City? ME.

I don't care if you live in Manhattan, Seattle, Chicago, Italy, Jupiter, or wherever the fuck. If you're going to act like you're too good to follow me, I'm unfollowing your ass.

6 comments:

  1. Really interesting to see that I am not the only person that experiences this. Sometimes you can even have great chats with people, repeatedly, and they still don't deem you "worthy" of a follow. I feel so used!

    One thing I wanted to bring up is comic creators and how having a laugh with your fans can be much better for business than just endlessly plugging your book or tweeting praise. We get it, everyone thinks your god and you have an ego induced semi.

    Here's an example. Last week I had a good laugh with Kieron Gillen on twitter. A genuinely nice guy who seems to have a good balance of plugging and banter. Later that day when I was in LCS for nothing in particular I ended up picking up two of his trades. Obviously his name was fresh in my mind and I wanted to support the guy. Other writers I feel are great at interacting with fans include: Greg Pak, Jim Zubb, Jim McCann & Warren Ellis (sometimes.)

    I only joined twitter to keep up to date with what my favourite creators are up to and originally followed about 50 writers and artists. Now I'm down to 7 but have discovered an even better use for it. Interacting with amazing, like minded fans. Who can have different opinions yet still have intellectual (and thankfully silly) debates without being offensive

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I agree. Again, I don't expect a response from the creators, but it is pretty fantastic when they do talk to the fans. I don't know if I'd support a creator less if they didn't respond to me, but I can definitely see getting into someone's work more if they actually talk to you about it and open up.

    Talking with other fans is definitely the selling point of Twitter for me. That's where my anger comes from, when fans (the Twitter snobs) try to put themselves in the same category as the creators when they're really just commenting. Which is great. My whole blog and Tiwtter account is about commenting on stuff. But we're all in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Confession time.

    I don't follow everybody back, but I have a reason!

    I am very chatty and try to talk to my tweeps as much as possible. If I followed everyone.. people *friends* get lost in the sea of endless "I just followed you so you will follow me so I can post 1000 tweets a day about being on team followback" Ew.

    In my bio it says to say hi, and I almost always follow people that do. (Sometimes I space, or think I'm already following, or sometimes people are just creepy and I don't)

    Jeebus. *This* is why I need the 140 character limit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh absolutely. I'm the same way. I don't always immediately follow people back. And I'm sure there have been times when people have interacted with me and I just forgot by the time I got home from work. I'd actually consider you an example of how to use Twitter correctly. You can tell when people are acting like they're too good to follow other people. It's all about ratios.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I followed you because I enjoyed your tweets as well as your blogsite.

    I hope I did not come off as twitter snob - since I have more than 1K followers. I seem to fit your criteria. Too bad, I can't draw worth a shit for me to submit on your blogsite.

    The worst twitter snob assholes out there are: Geoff Johns & Ethan van Sciver. Phil Jimenez is getting there. Believe it or not, Geoff remains to be my favorite author out there but god, he can't take any criticisms. Ethan is just a conservative prick who likes to attack people who pointed out his mistakes. PJ? He's such a chatterbox and yet ignored his fans' tweets.

    R-

    ReplyDelete
  6. No but that's not what I'm saying. I don't expect people who are actually famous or have tons and tons of followers to follow back. I'm talking about the people who do nothing but blog and expect to have a ton of followers without following back or acknowledging people who actually take the time to read their stuff.

    I'm not referring to comic book creators, actors, comedians, or anyone else who's famous. I'm talking about the delusional people who think they're famous because they can get 1,000 followers without following anyone back.

    ReplyDelete