Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Meeting Dan Slott

Last Wednesday, I had the pleasure of meeting one of the best, most controversial comic book writers out there, Dan Slott. When I heard that the man who killed off Peter Parker was doing a signing at Jim Hanley's Universe in New York City, I jumped at the chance to meet him.

Although, did he really kill Peter Parker? Technically...never mind. We aren't going there. Not now.

Dan Slott was in town to sign his new comic book, The Superior Spider-Man #1. Being that it was new comic book day and Jim Hanley's is a comic book shop, you would imagine that I got my copy of Superior Spider-Man when I arrived at the signing. Unfortunately, by the time I got to Jim Hanley's, they had already sold out of Superior Spider-Man #1!

Standing in line
Don't be alarmed. I went prepared. Thankfully, before I left in the morning, I thought to put my copy of The Amazing Spider-Man #700 (written by Dan Slott) in my work bag. There was one catch: it was a Midtown Comics exclusive variant! So there I was, in line at Jim Hanley's Universe, waiting to get a Midtown Comics exclusive comic signed by Dan Slott. What were they going to do, kick me out? They also gave us a card with the cover of The Superior Spider-Man #1 printed on it for Dan Slott to sign. I thought that was nice of Jim Hanley's, just in case some people came empty handed.

The wait to meet Dan Slott from where I was standing was about 3 hours. There weren't a ton of people, but the line was moving slowly. I was fine with that. There were some cool people next to me in line so we talked about comics the entire time. That's one of my favorite parts of going to these signings.

When I got up to Dan Slott, I realized why the line was moving so slowly. He's really gracious and talks to his fans a lot. Everyone had questions about Spider-Man and he seemed willing to answer them all. I thanked him for having the balls to write The Amazing Spider-Man #700. Yes, I said it like that. Every now and then I think we need someone to come along and really shake things up. That's what Dan Slott did with The Amazing Spider-Man #700. I wanted to let him know that I appreciated it, especially since he's gotten so much much negative feedback from it.

Dan Slott signing comics
Meeting Dan Slott was a great experience. I've been an on and off reader of Spider-Man over the years and his recent run has definitely got me on again. I am so excited to have these collectibles on my shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment