Because, today is the one year anniversary of The Fat Lantern! You could even say that it's my BLOGOVERSARY. In my very first post, I said that I wanted this blog to be a forum where I could discuss and learn about comics. Since then, it has become that and more. I've gone beyond comics and written about movies, TV shows, science fiction, and more. I've also put more emphasis on my action figure collecting.
I want to say THANK YOU. Thank you to everyone who has read, commented, and participated in the number of activities I've had on the blog. The Fat Lantern is my outlet to write and be creative. However, it's a lot easier to stay motivated when I'm getting feedback and involvement from readers.
Thank you to Read Comic Books for the constant support on Twitter and for making the kickass Fat Lantern banner at the top of the page.
Thank you to my brother and "Taking Over" co-host derryX for plugging The Fat Lantern at his blog. He has also helped me beef up my comic book trade paperback collection.
Thank you to Ari Carr who has shown tremendous support on Twitter and has mentioned me at her blog (which is fantastic, by the way) multiple times.
I also want to thank my wife for encouraging my comic book and action figure obsession.
I want to also thank some more people on Twitter who continue to show support for The Fat Lantern including Keith Frank, Galaxy Junkyard, Adam Wiebner, Lela Gwenn, Comic Book Kid, Paul Bowler, Tower of Fate, Tommy Lutz, Mike Fitzgerald, and Drunk on Comics (the best comic book podcast there is). There are so many more who have shown support in one way or another. To all of you, I say thanks!
Let's take a retrospective look at The Fat Lantern. Ideally, I would like all of you to go back and read every post because I would not put it online if I didn't think it was good. However, these are my favorite posts that I'm most proud of:
- The Fat Wolverine - I discuss an illustration I drew in high school. You can say that this is the first appearance of FAT Illustrations.
- The Big Boot - One of the many cases where professional wrestling meets comic books.
- TIMECOP - It's no secret that I'm a Jean-Claude Van Damme superfan. Here, I review a comic book series based on the movie "Timecop".
- Meeting Jim Lee & Geoff Johns - I tell the tale of meeting two of the greatest comic book creators of all time.
- Ultimate Galactus Trilogy "Review" - The title is self-explanatory.
- SUPERMANIA - I fulfill my dream of calling a professional wrestling match that most people never realized was a wrestling match.
- Dishonorable Mention - A childhood story about a pumpkin decorating contest that didn't end too well for me.
- Meeting Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams - I met another pair of legendary comic book creators.
- This Can't be a Coincidence and This Can't be a Coincidence REVISITED - I spotted a famous moment in professional wrestling in a Green Lantern comic and had my suspicion confirmed by the creators!
- Merry Christmas, You Filthy Animal - A Christmas story about me attacking my brother with a Christmas present that I received.
- The King of Action Figures Joins The Corps - I created a video showcasing one of the greatest action figures that I've ever owned.
- Goodbye, Amazing Spider-Man - I discuss my reaction to one of the most shocking moments in comic book history.
Although I am more than happy with how things have turned out so far, I think there is definitely room for improvement. I'd love more input through comments. The amount of people who visit The Fat Lantern has been increasing, but I can't know what you're thinking by just tracking pageviews. I also want to see more captions for Caption Figures and submissions for FAT Illustrations. These are both weekly segments where the readers get to be creative so I love when people participate. Plus, it makes me laugh! Lastly, I could always use more followers on Twitter. More followers means more people who are exposed to The Fat Lantern. So follow The Fat Lantern on Twitter!
Thank you all again. Please keep reading. I'll keep writing. As usual, I'll talk to you later...
Wait. I think I'm forgetting something. Oh, that's right. LIGHT 'EM UP!
In fullest day,
In famished night,
No burger shall escape my sight!
Let those who worship health food's blight,
Beware my hunger...
Fat Lantern's bite!