Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Spoiler Alert, Please

Let me tell you something about the world we live in. We live in a world where we have an infinite amount of information available right at our fingertips. Unfortunately, this same world spoils shit for us constantly.

I have had two major comic book events spoiled for me in the past year alone: The death of Peter Parker and the death of Robin. In both cases, I found out by reading a headline on Google news. A headline. I didn't click on an article. All I did was go to a general news site and look at my computer screen. That's all it took to ruin two of the biggest comic book deaths of all time for me. I understand that news travels fast (and nowadays, instantly), but this is ridiculous.

I am totally anti-spoiler. I don't usually read comic book (or movie) previews because I like to go in as fresh as possible. I think my hatred of spoilers comes from professional wrestling. When I was a kid, I had to call pro-wrestling hotlines, read pro-wrestling magazines, and talk to friends to get the latest scoop. As I got older, the internet became more popular and storylines and match outcomes started to get spoiled before the shows even aired. It took a lot of the excitement away for me.

Sometimes I feel out of the loop when people around me know more about upcoming comics than I do. However, I enjoy reading comics more when I get to experience it all on my own terms. I try to avoid Twitter every new comic book Wednesday because people will openly discuss new comic books before I even get a chance to get to the comic shop! (For more on this problem, see The Golden Rule of New Comic Book Day.)

Do I think that spoilers should be available? Absolutely. There are some people that like spoilers and end up seeing/reading something based on a spoiler. The problem is that there is no real way to govern it. All you have to do is go on Twitter, Facebook, Google News, etc. and the information is right there in front of you.

The world we live in is a fantastic place. All I ask is that we respect it a little more by not shoving spoilers in each other's faces. Is it really that hard to preempt a spoiler with "spoiler alert"? I don't think so. I really don't.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah you're damn right.
    Sunday nights on Twitter are usually the worst if you aren't up to date with your shows. The walking Dead and Once Upon A Time are prime examples of shows where it's really easy to get spoiled considering the buzz each episode creates on the internet..

    Lucky for me, most people I follow on twitter don't usually blurt out spoilers. You gotta watch out for those revealing TT though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I am constantly hurling abuse at comicbook.com for their Twitter spoilers.

    I'm in the UK so I get The Walking Dead a week after you guys and every Monday morning I go on Twitter to have the big shock reveal ruined for me which sucks, but at the same time with running a comic book blog I do read a lot of the potential spoilers so that I can start working on theories and things like that.

    ReplyDelete