Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Previously In...

Oh comics. They're so great, aren't they? I love when new issues are released and I get to clear my schedule and begin reading.


Hold the phones. What's going on in this comic? How did the last issue leave off again? Who is this person? Let me go grab issues 4 and 7 so I can refresh my memory. I can't remember. I CAN'T REMEMBER. I CAN NOT REMEMBER!

If this has happened to you, give me a "hell yeah".


If you've started reading a comic and instantly felt like Donny in this clip from "The Big Lebowski", give me a "hell yeah".

Thanks.

From New Avengers #1 (2013)
I pay attention when I read, but when I'm reading so many comics within a month, it's hard to mentally retain the complete structure of every story. Plus, sometimes I want to be shown what I need to remember so I don't have to think. Is that too much to ask? Don't I deserve a little break from using my brain? When I read a new comic book, there are times that I just can not recall everything that happened in the previous issue.

Some comics assist the reader by starting with a quick, one paragraph or page recap. I love this. It refreshes my memory on what's happened so far in the story and let's me know which details the upcoming comic book issue will focus on. I've seen these brief recaps in comics published by Marvel, IDW, Dark Horse, and others. However, the one major comic book publisher that has not bothered to include this in their comics is DC Comics.

I'm not sure why DC Comics doesn't have these brief recaps at he beginning of their comics. What I do know is that I wish they did. Don't worry, I'm not complaining for the sake of complaining (I would never do that...). I have a possible solution. If DC Comics doesn't want to print a recap at the beginning of each comic book, I think they should make one available online as a free digital download. It would be released on the day that the comic book issue comes out. For example, if issue #4 was released today, the recap for issues #1-3 would be available online today as well. This would allow DC Comics to keep publishing comics as they do, but also give us that quick recap that the other publishers usually print. Since it would be free and downloadable, everyone would be able to access it. And, it might even encourage people who wouldn't normally download comics to check out some other downloadable content.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. This is a good idea. Do you remember when Marvel used to do the big fold-out title pages? They had recaps, character lists and bios, it was awesome. Then, they started adding advertisements. Over time, the advertisements took over the fold-outs. Doing it online would save them from having to compete for the space.

    ReplyDelete