Thursday, April 4, 2013

Who Am I?

If there's one thing that I've been sure of over the years, it's that I'm mostly a DC guy. Lately, however, I've been questioning how strong my ties to DC Comics are. I may be experiencing an identity crisis.

At the start of DC Comics New 52 in September, 2011, my comic book subscription was exclusively DC. Since then, I've slowly migrated to other publishers and dropped some DC titles. I now subscribe to multiple Marvel titles (such as New Avengers, Superior Spider-Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy), IDW's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Dark Horse's Conan the Barbarian and Star Wars. I'm also following Saga (Image Comics) in trade paperback.

Is it possible that my gradual increase in non-DC titles is a reflection of the quality of current DC Comics. Has DC been so bad that I'm looking elsewhere for my comic book fix?

If I dig really deep and look inside myself, I don't believe this to be true. I think that a lot of what's out now is so good. Since I'm more interested in reading great comics instead of being faithful to an individual publisher, my interests have branched out. Plus, I have been a fan of Marvel and Dark Horse for years. It would be a task for me to completely neglect them.

Don't you worry. I still have a strong DC Comics subscription with some of my favorite current titles such as Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern: New Guardians, The Flash, Aquaman, Justice League, and Justice League of America. I just can't be that DC guy anymore. There is just too much goodness being published by other companies.

Do you want to know what the worst part is? There are so many more amazing comics out there that I'm not currently reading. Don't tell me which ones! I'm weak! I'll go broke!

No comments:

Post a Comment