Wednesday, May 1, 2013

I Am Cancelling Red Lanterns

I have decided to cancel my subscription to DC Comics Red Lanterns. For the second time.

When Red Lanterns #1 was published in September, 2011, I purchased it, gave it a read, and decided that it wasn't worth paying for every month. I'm not saying that it's a bad comic by any means. I just have a specific budget and it didn't make the cut. Also, I don't think that Red Lanterns deserve their own monthly comic more than the other Corps. This didn't directly contribute to my cancellation of the title, but it did irk me a bit.

So for a while, I wasn't subscribed to Red Lanterns. Then, the Green Lantern crossover "Rise of the Third Army" happened. This story spanned all of the Lantern titles including Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern: New Guardians, and Red Lanterns, starting at issue #13. I decided to give Red Lanterns another go.

Dex-Starr is a cool cat.
I still wasn't blown away by Red Lanterns but I needed to read and collect the issues because they tied in with the other Lantern titles. I thought I could give it up after "Rise of the Third Army", but that went right into "Wrath of the First Lantern", another huge story spanning all of the Lantern titles. They got me again! So I have been reading Red Lanterns up until the current issue, #19.


Honestly, if I had all of the money in the world, I would subscribe to Red Lanterns forever (and if you added all of the time in the world, I'd subscribe to every comic forever). Since that is not the case and I need to select the best, most essential comics for my current subscription, I'm afraid to say that I am done with Red Lanterns.

I don't want to end my relationship with this comic on a sour note. One of my favorite comics from DC Comics New 52 is Red Lanterns #18, written by Peter Milligan and illustrated by Miguel A. Sepulveda. The First Lantern, Volthoom, gives Atrocitus the "what if" treatment, showing him what could have been if the Manhunters never attacked Sector 666. It's a beautifully illustrated comic book that tells a great story and brings you on an emotional roller coaster ride. I've been up and down with Red Lanterns but issue #18 made it all worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I understand where you are coming from on this Dominick. I am a Green Lantern fan through and through but the Red Lanterns book hasn't been all it promised to be. I was a little surprised that you enjoyed #18 so much but are dropping out only one book later on #19. But I have two kids and I know how it feels to have to balance a comic book budget. Like you I dropped Red Lanterns after #1 and picked it up again around #9 with the Stormwatch crossover. I have considered dropping it ever since but have been caught up in the crossovers (and I feel kind of feel committed to staying up to date with the whole Lantern universe).

    The thing that has annoyed me most about the RL book is wondering if the next panel is going to be the one were Atrocitus moans again about the Manhunters murdering his family and wonders if he has the stones to rage over it. Don't get me wrong; this is a powerful motivator for the character and shouldn't be belittled but there is very little development of Atrocitus from one issue to the next.

    However, I will continue to stick with the book for three reasons: 1. Peter Milligan seems to be promising that Atrocitus is over his self-doubt and is going to get on with having his revenge; and 2. I am going to support the new creative team. I have my fingers crossed that they will deliver a book of ruthless avengers and 'balls to the wall' action like I originally expected way back when the title was first announced. 3. I've heard that Guy Gardner is going to feature heavily in future issues and that is probably enough to keep me interested by itself.

    Look me up again after issue #24 or #25. If Red Lanterns has not gone through some major improvements by then I will probably call it a day too and join you in the 'ok but not good enough to pay for every month' vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Flodo! Yes I agree, Atrocitus with the Manhunters, jeeeeeez.

    I really wanted to see where it goes with the new creators but at this point, there are so many other incredibly strong comic book titles (a lot that I'm not even buying!). If Guy Gardner shows up a lot and it seems to be a good series, I might check it out again. Never say never, right?

    It definitely kills me as a Green Lantern fanboy to not have EVERYTHING, but I really want to spend the money I have on some other great stuff out there right now.

    ReplyDelete