Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Meeting Brian Wood

A huge benefit of living in New York City is getting the chance to meet great, popular comic book creators. Last week, I had the pleasure of meeting comic book writer Brian Wood at JHU Comic Books (32 E 32nd St. in Manhattan). He was in town to sign his new comic, X-Men #1.

Of the comic book signings I've been to, this was the most pleasant to wait for. I got there about an hour and a half prior to the start of the signing and was just about at the front of the line. The heat and humidity were relentless, but that's not Brian Wood's fault. I blame New York City for that.

Standing in line
As usual, I took advantage of being around other people who share my interests and I had some great discussion about comic books and comic book signings with the guys next to me in line. One thing that came up was certificates of authenticity at comic book signings. When I met Geoff Johns and Jim Lee at Midtown Comics, I was given a certificate for each signature. We were trying to figure out how common this is. It seems like it isn't very common. What about you? Have you ever gotten a certificate of authenticity at a comic book signing?

Brian Wood signing comics
Brian Wood showed up early and the line moved swiftly. Before I knew it, I was standing in front of Brian Wood, writer of two of my favorite current comic book titles, Conan the Barbarian and Star Wars. I like X-Men, I really like Star Wars, but I love Conan the Barbarian. Not only the current series, but the character in general. I asked Brian Wood about his experience with the character and he said that he was offered to write Conan the Barbarian so he gave it a shot. I also asked him if he was into Conan as a kid and he told me that he wasn't. However, we both agreed that the Kurt Busiek Conan series was great stuff.

What did I get signed? Take a look!

Conan the Barbarian #7 & 8, X-Men #1, Star Wars #1, Free Comic Book Day Star Wars
Needless to say, it was a treat to meet Brian Wood and talk to him about the current comics he writes that I've been enjoying on a monthly basis. I can't thank him and JHU Comic Books enough for the opportunity!

Brian Wood and I

No comments:

Post a Comment