Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Most Badass Female


Saying that I'm a huge fan of Conan the Cimmerian a.k.a. Conan the Barbarian is an understatement. There is something about the character that I have always gravitated toward and I feel like I have a strong connection with it. I've seen Conan the Barbarian and Conan the Destroyer, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, hundreds of times. My interest in Conan began with these movies when I was a little kid. They're the best. As I got older, I began to appreciate the character in other forms of media. I really enjoy reading Conan comics, specifically those published by Dark Horse Comics.

Recently, I've been reading the Robert E. Howard Conan books which came before everything and I can not describe how much I have been enjoying them. I just finished reading Queen of the Black Coast. In it, Conan falls in love with a woman named Bêlit. I was familiar with this name prior to reading the story because she has been a main character in the current Dark Horse Comics series Conan the Barbarian. (*spoiler alert* If you do not know the story of Bêlit and want to be surprised in the current Conan series, stop reading now.)

I learned that in the movie Conan the Barbarian, Conan's love interest, Valeria, was based on Bêlit. In Queen of the Black Coast, Bêlit loves Conan so much that...you know what? I can't do it justice. Why don't you read it for yourself:

"My heart is welded to your heart, my soul is part of your soul! Were I still in death and you fighting for life, I would come back from the abyss to aid you..."

And she does. Later in the story, Conan is fighting for his life and is about to get killed. Bêlit comes back from the dead for a moment and saves his life, much like the scene in Conan the Barbarian where Valeria saves Conan's life.

When I read this, one word came to mind: Badass. That is the only word to describe what Bêlit is. She is so true to herself and to Conan that she comes back from the dead to fulfill her promise to him. There are a lot of powerful, inspirational female characters in history. But I think Bêlit is the most badass female out there.

Who do you think deserves that title?

No comments:

Post a Comment