Tuesday, July 2, 2013

First Impressions

I am a fan of The Avengers and the Iron Man movies. If you ask me, Robert Downey Jr. is amazing as Tony Stark. As a matter of fact, I think that Robert Downey Jr. is one of the greatest actors of all time. Unfortunately, no matter what he does, I will always see Robert Downey Jr. as Derek Lutz, the asshole best friend from Back to School.


I used to watch Back to School a lot when I was a kid. For quite some time, that's the only movie featuring Robert Downey Jr. that I had ever seen. It wasn't until I was an adult that I got to see him portray Tony Stark.


You see, Robert Downey Jr. is too good at acting. He was such a convincing dickhead in Back to School that now I can't unsee him as a dickhead. Plus, he's gotten so famous since then. When I watch Iron Man, I see Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, not Tony Stark.

This begs the question: Is it better to have a known actor portray an established character, or someone completely unknown? On one hand, it's smart to put such a huge role in the hands of an actor that is known to be great. However, what if someone who no one has seen in movies or TV before accepts the role? Is it more convincing since we're seeing them as that character right off the bat?

Whether it's about movies that have already been released or upcoming movies, let's discuss!

2 comments:

  1. More often than not I'd rather see an unknown have a role. That's not saying I don't like to see popular celebrities, but I just think more often than not they're placed in roles just because they already have an established fan base that the production company is trying to cash in on.

    For example, the Dwayne Johnson, a good actor, but not really the guy I want to see in every single role.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no problem with well-known actors taking on roles, as long as they're good for the character. Just look at Christian Bale, he was relatively well known before donning the cowl, but he was completely unknown in a role like that.

    As long as a character isn't typecast, I don't mind seeing big stars. For example, seeing Tom Hardy play the overly British, handsome, action hero again would be so boring but seeing what he did with the role of Bane was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete