Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Preparing for New York Comic Con 2013

New York Comic Con (NYCC) is less than a month away and I can not wait. Not only is it going to be tons of fun, it's also going to be my very first Con. I have my badge and I'm ready to go!

Well, kind of. I know what's going to be there (for the most part), but I don't know the best way to plan things out. I want to meet a couple celebrities and a bunch of comic book creators. I also want to get my hands on some exclusive NYCC action figures and comic books. What I need is advice. I am a Comic Con newbie and I want to hear anything that will help me get the most out of my first Comic Con experience. Here are some questions I have right off the bat:
  • How long will I have to wait to meet celebrity guests?
  • How long will I have to wait to meet comic book creators?
  • How early should I show up if I want to meet the guests?
  • Do I need to sign up or get a special ticket to meet the guests?
  • How much does it usually cost to meet the guests?
  • What's a good budget for 3 days at NYCC?
  • What are the best booths for comics or action figures?
  • What are the best types of panels?
  • I have a 3-day pass. Do you think it's necessary for me to spend 3 full days at the convention center?
Answers to any of these questions (or advice in general) would be greatly appreciated. Please comment, tweet me (@TheFatLantern), or comment at The Fat Lantern Facebook page.

I would also love to hear your NYCC stories. Tell me about your experience and if it was positive, negative, and/or weird! I'll be sure to report back with my own next month.

Thank you in advance!

1 comment:

  1. So I've never been to NYCC but I've been to my local con (MegaCon) every year since I was 12 and the best advice I can give is the following:

    1. If there is exclusive merchandise that you absolutely want, go directly to that booth your first day, as soon as possible.

    2. Avoid the show room on Saturday! You will not be able to move; suggest hitting up a panel or two on this day.

    3. Depending on the panel you may need to show up as early as 3 hours! If going with a friend or relative, you can trade off who stands in line while you bee line it for a particular booth; be nice and trade off every 30 minutes or so though.

    4. Print out the panel and autograph schedule and sit down and plan accordingly; keep in mind, you can't possibly see everything and everyone.

    5. Most cons due require some sort of special ticket to see certain guests; hopefully this information is on the NYCC site. Prices and wait times also vary by guest.

    6. I believe every con has an Artist Alley, my advice is to hit them up on Sunday, prices are often half off or buy one get one (varies by dealer of course).

    7. Pack a lunch; something simple like a sandwich and a Gatorade fit nicely into a backpack and you'd rather not pay a con's food price ($4.00 for bottled water is a killer)

    8. Relax and enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete