Thursday, October 24, 2013

2013 New York Comic Con Wrap-up

Wow, what a weekend. It's been almost 2 weeks since I went to Comic Con and I'm still amped up from it. I was there October 11th-13th. This was my first time attending New York Comic Con and I had a blast. Earlier this week, I told the tale of me meeting my life-long idol, Hulk Hogan. Yesterday, I spoke a bit about cosplay. Now, I'd like to share the rest of my experience in a more abbreviated form. So here we go.

The first thing I saw (besides cosplay) when I walked into the Javits Center was a sign advertising wrestlers. That, of course, peaked my interest. I went over to the table and holy shit! Tito Santana, Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, and Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake! No offense to Tito and "The Hammer", but I had to snap a picture of me holding my Intercontinental Championship belt with Brutus.

Me and Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake
I had a photo op with Jason David Frank. That was really sweet because I was obsessed with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers as a kid. Everyone loved the Green/White Ranger, including me. He's such a nice guy and extremely appreciative of his fans. Plus, he totally stole the show when he came out. Everyone went nuts. Unfortunately, I didn't get in line for his autograph session and only chose the photo op. I say unfortunately because I found out that the photo ops are super quick. You barely have time to say "Nice to meet you." However, it was still great to finally meet Jason David Frank and it was a bit nostalgic for me.

Me and Jason David Frank
I picked up the DC Comics New York Comic Con exclusive Hal Jordan/Saint Walker action figure 2-pack. I'm probably going to keep these in the box. I'm not big on storing action figures in their original boxes, but since these are small and New York Comic Con exclusives, I'll keep them in there.


I walked around and saw pretty much every vendor. There were a ton of toy vendors. One guy had some beaten up, used action figures for cheap. That's what I like to see. So I bought a Stone Cold Steve Austin figure and an nWo Wolfpac Kevin Nash action figure.

Stunner on Nash! Stunner on Nash! Stunner on Nash!
Hornswoggle!
Kane!
I went to the panel "WWE Studios Presents Halloween Horror". This was awesome because I got to see Kane (Glenn Jacobs) and Hornswoggle (Dylan Postl) in person. They showed clips from the upcoming See No Evil 2 (Kane's movie) and Leprechaun: Origins (Hornswaggle's movie). A couple of tidbits from the Q&A portion: Kane was asked if he misses his old wrestling gimick, Isaac Yankem, and he laughed and said "No, not at all." A little kid asked Kane who he's fighting at this Sunday's WWE Pay-Per-View Hell in a Cell and he responded "Hey, you weren't supposed to know that..." It was a really fun panel overall.

I was really, really tired by the end of the weekend. I learned that you can't just keep going for 3 days straight. You have to stop, drink some water, eat some food, and sit down. I let my excitement get the better of me and I couldn't feel my legs by the end of the weekend. It was, however, totally worth it.

If you go back and read my New York Comic Con preparation blog post, you can see that I accomplished everything I wanted to and more. Next year, I'm going to put some more focus on the comic aspect of the Con. I was a bit distracted this year, you know, meeting The Hulkster and all. I encourage you to check out all of my photos from New York Comic Con (including the celebrities I spotted!) I can't wait for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment