Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Cosplay: A New Found Respect

The idea of dressing up in costumes always seemed exciting to me. Halloween is probably my favorite time of year for many reasons, specifically the fun, creative costumes. What I've been learning more and more over the years is that dressing up isn't just for Halloween. Cosplay has become wildly popular for all sorts of occasions.

I always thought cosplay was cool, but to me it was just dressing up, like Halloween. I don't think I truly understood it until I went to this year's New York Comic Con. This was my first Comic Con and I was surprised to see that the cosplayers were superstars. Kids wanted to take pictures with them, adults wanted to take pictures of them (There were two people who wanted take a picture of me and the only thing I was wearing that was out of the ordinary was my WWF Intercontinental Championship belt.) The dedication that people put into their costumes at Comic Con was unbelievable. The costumes ranged from simple to extremely complex. A lot of these costumes weren't exactly available at Party City either. People took a lot of time to make them. I never realized that people actually do paper mache just to make a costume look authentic. I was seriously impressed.

But it's not just about what the costume looks like. Cosplay is also about having a presence. People really commit to the character. If you want to pose for a picture next to someone dressed as The Joker, for example, be prepared for to stand next to The Joker. They aren't going to murder you. That's not what I'm saying. What I mean is they will talk and act like The Joker, mannerisms and all.

I took pictures of my favorite cosplay from this year's New York Comic Con:

IMAG1501IMAG1503IMAG1504IMAG1506IMAG1507IMAG1508
IMAG1509IMAG1510IMAG1511IMAG1512IMAG1513IMAG1514
IMAG1515IMAG1519IMAG1523IMAG152620131013_14121420131013_131841
20131013_133705IMAG1531IMAG1529IMAG1530

(You can also check them out on Flickr or The Fat Lantern Facebook page.)

So I am here to go on record as saying that I support cosplay. Who knows? Maybe I'll join in on the fun at the next New York Comic Con...

No comments:

Post a Comment