Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Earth to Green Lantern

I've noticed a split between people who enjoy comics about characters that explore other planets and dimensions and characters that fight crime and evil on earth. I don't dislike the idea of characters being out in space, fighting cosmic beings. I'd even say that I prefer it. But I enjoy it as long as at some point, they come down to earth. I feel like the Green Lantern universe needs to get grounded a bit. It's all on too big of a scale to really enjoy and relate to.

Larfleeze #1
I'm not saying everything needs to be 100% real. It's a comic book! I realize that. I like reading about people gaining super powers and flying in space to fight weird aliens. But to a degree. I've been noticing that Green Lantern and company have been flying around in space for a while. And not only that, but they keep exploring new planets/space sectors and meeting new species.

Green Lantern: New Guardians #25
This really started to irk me in Larfleeze #1. I couldn't have been more disappointed in the whole direction that he was taken in this series. He's such a demented, tragic character and by the end of the first issue they had him fighting some cosmic dog. In Green Lantern: New Guardians #25, a title that I have been enjoying since issue #1, we saw the continuing adventures of Kyle Rayner, the White Lantern who everyone thinks is dead. I liked that aspect of the story. But this issue focused on him going to some planet, dealing with yet another new species. In the main Green Lantern title, we keep meeting all of these new alien recruits. I can't keep track!

Enough with the imagination. Let's focus more on what's out there and stop creating planets and aliens. Just for a little bit. Now that there are so many Lantern-related titles (Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern: New Guardians, Red Lanterns, and Larfleeze), not to mention all of the Justice League titles, there is just too much going on. It's character hoarding. DC keeps creating and collecting more and more characters. The next thing you know, they're going to need to create another company just to have somewhere to put all of these characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment