Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Little Guido's Little Helper

I consider myself to be pretty lucky in terms of the era of wrestling that I grew up watching. I actually lived through the rise and fall of ECW (Extreme Championship Wrestling). Not only did I grow up watching it, but I was lucky enough to attend a few ECW shows. Of course it was a crazy, fun experience every time. But at one show, something incredible happened that I'll never forget.

Little Guido
The year was 2000 and I was at a local ECW show in Middletown, NY. Since it was a local, minor show, you were able to get really close to the wrestlers. I was fortunate enough to actually meet one of my favorite ECW superstars, Little Guido of the F.B.I. (Full Blooded Italians).

Me and my friends were walking around before the show and he was just standing there talking to a couple of guys. We were in awe. We couldn't believe he was right in front of us! So we ran up to him and of course told him what big fans we were. We started talking and out of the blue, he asked "...so where are you guys sitting?" We responded "Front row!" I was holding a cup of soda in my hand and he looked at me and said "OK. When the match starts, I'm going to come up to you, grab your soda, and smash it in his face.", referring to his opponent. I responded "OK!" and immediately ran into the bathroom to fill the cup with water, because little did he know, it was completely empty.

I went to my seat and waited for the show to start. I wasn't convinced that it was actually going to happen. Finally, Little Guido came to the ring and the match started. I had butterflies in my stomach. I was so nervous! The match started and he attacked his opponent and threw him outside of the ring. They came right over to me and BAM. Little Guido grabbed my cup of soda (water) and smashed it on his opponent's head. It splashed everywhere and the crowd went CRAZY.

I couldn't believe it! I was actually involved in a wrestling match. Sure it was insignificant in the grand scheme of wrestling, but it has always been extremely significant to me. If I had to sum up the experience in one sentence, it'd probably be...

THAT WAS AWE-SOME ... THAT WAS AWE-SOME ... THAT WAS AWE-SOME

1 comment:

  1. That's amazing - must have been great to get up close and personal, especially at an ECW show where the fans were that hardcore!

    ReplyDelete